Thursday, February 16, 2012

DIY Dried Apples

This is an idea I found on the blog Going Home to Roost: DIY Dried Apples! And it was the perfect time to do it because there are such great deals on apples right now! It was pretty easy, by far the most laborious part was slicing up the apples, but that still only took about 15 minutes for 6 apples. Here is my version of DIY Dried Apples:


Pre-heat your oven- the original directions said to heat to 140, but my oven only goes down to 170, so that's what I did:

















Then, you cut up the apples (I cut up 6 Gala apples) into slices/wedges about 1/4" thick:

















As you are slicing them, put the slices in a bowl of water & lemon juice. I used about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 2 cups water.

















Once all your apples are sliced, lay them out on cookie sheets- no need to spray them, they won't get stuck (I cover my pans with foil to make clean-up easier!):

















Then, put them in the oven to bake for 4 to 6 hours. About halfway through, flip them over. When you get to 4 hours, check on them occasionally. You want them dry, not burned up. The thickest pieces should feel slightly damp and bendy, and look something like this:

















Let them cool, then place in an airtight container. They should be good for a few days. Or if you want to keep them longer, put them in the freezer for 2 days, and then after that they should keep up to 6 months in an airtight container.  Our dried apples didn't hang around that long, we ate them up. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great recipe! I love dried apples, they remind me of childhood. But my grandma used to dry them on the roof of her house (that's why I never made them myself;-) well, your recipe is so much simpler that I might give it a try!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I can't imagine drying fruit on the roof- but it sounds kind of fun! Glad I could help with an indoor recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you have further questions I can be reached at frugaltownie@gmail.com