Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving leftovers, bulk buys, and recipes

There are some amazing grocery deals this week, as I noted here.

For example, boy are those potatoes at Checkers and Aldi cheap! But I find that when I buy a big bag of potatoes, they almost always go bad before we can use them all. So, I've done a little research, and I'm going to freeze them! GoodCheapEats has the info here: How To Freeze Potatoes.

Good deals on sweet potatoes also abound. (I got a 3# bag at Aldi for $0.75!) A good way to save these is to bake sweet potato pies and then freeze them. Great recipe from my friend George here!

If I had more room in my freezer, I'd buy an extra turkey or two. But I'll just have to hope for some nice leftovers. What to do with turkey? Obviously, you can freeze it, but you can also make a stock for soups. Also from GoodCheapEats, a How to Cook at Turkey has good info about leftovers. Some ideas:

Easy Turkey Pot Pie
Turkey Enchiladas
Shredded BBQ Turkey Sandwiches

Grandma Betty's Thanksgiving Casserole:
Chop up leftover turkey, layer in a casserole dish with leftover stuffing, vegetables, gravy, whatever, top with mashed potatoes and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes to re-heat. You can sprinkle the top with shredded cheese before baking to make it extra-delicious.

Have I mentioned how much I love my Grandma Betty? She called me yesterday and had a whole list of "Tips & Tricks" she'd written down for my first Thanksgiving. This "recipe" was one of her tips. Sounds delicious!

Photo from http://www.sxc.hu/


1 comment:

  1. My husband Allan worked for Kroger for years. One thing he did every time turkeys were on sale was to ask the butcher to saw one in 1/2 so I could freeze one in my small freezer in the fridge. I would cook 1/2 the turkey and freeze the left over meat for casseroles and freeze the other 1/2 immediately. Any store that has a meat dept will do this for you for free.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you have further questions I can be reached at frugaltownie@gmail.com