Sunday, November 13, 2011

2 Frugal recipes

Tried 2 new frugal recipes this weekend.

Split-pea soup in the crockpot: It was SO GOOD, and really easy. Served with corn muffins.


Purchased ingredients:
16 oz bag of dried split peas - $0.99 (regular price at Hy-Vee)
Smoked ham - $2.00/lb, used 2 lbs. (sale price at Hy-Vee)
The rest of the ingredients (onions, carrots, salt, etc. I already had on hand).

Betty Crocker corn bread mix - $0.33 (on sale 3/$1 at Walgreens)

Recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup-83008 (I omitted the celery, because I don't like celery. Ha.)

Easy fudge: also SO GOOD and SO EASY. I'm thinking this might be a good one to make and give to people for the holidays.

Purchased ingredients:
2 lbs powdered sugar (used 1 lb for the recipe)- $1.50 (on sale 2/$3 at Dillons)
The rest of the things I already had (cocoa powder, milk, butter, etc.)

Recipe here: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1729,150161-231201,00.html (I used powdered milk, made following the directions on the package. I also did not use nuts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If you have further questions I can be reached at frugaltownie@gmail.com