Monday, November 21, 2011

Two Frugal Recipes (sweet potato pie and hot chocolate!)


Frugal Hot Chocolate from The Complete Tightwad Gazette (p 81) by Amy Dacyczyn

1/3c dry milk
1tsp cocoa
1c hot water
Marshmallows to taste.

How easy is that? And it only costs about 10 cents per serving. Mixed up in a pretty jar this would be a nice gift as well. 


This recipe is from my friend George. He brought this pie to our staff picnic and it knocked my socks off. I'm now completely obsessed and making it for Thanksgiving, plus a few extra to freeze. I asked if it is a secret family recipe, he says its from The California Cookbook from LA Times.
George's Sweet Potato Pie
1 ½ c mashed cooked sweet potatoes
½ c butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
1 c granulated or brown sugar (I used brown)
1 ½ t nutmeg
1 ½ t vanilla
½ c milk
1 -9 inch unbaked pie shell

Mix all ingredients together until smooth.  Let stand in refrigerator overnight.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours.


Photo courtesy http://www.sxc.hu/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If you have further questions I can be reached at frugaltownie@gmail.com